Jackery Explorer 500 Review:
In today’s fast-paced world, it’s important to stay connected and powered up, whether on the go or at home. This is especially true during power outages or when camping or travelling. A reliable and portable power source can make all the difference in such situations, and that’s where the Jackery Explorer 500 power station comes in.
This a popular and versatile portable power station that provides clean and quiet power for a wide range of devices, from smartphones and laptops to mini-fridges and CPAP machines. It’s perfect for outdoor enthusiasts, campers, RVers, and anyone who needs a reliable and convenient source of power.
In this post, we’ll take a close look at the portable power station and provide an in-depth review of its features, performance, and overall value. We’ll discuss its pros and cons, compare it to similar products on the market, and provide tips on how to get the most out of it.
So whether you’re a seasoned camper or a first-time user, read on to find out everything you need to know about this reliable portable power station.
- Jackery Explorer 500 Review:
- Features of the Jackery Explorer 500
- Portability and Design
- Power Output and Battery Capacity Of The Jackery Eplorer 500 Power Station
- Charging Time
- Noise Level
- Safety Features
- Compatibility with Devices
- Customer Reviews
- Pros and Cons Of The Explorer 500
- Cheaper Alternatives (at the time of writing)
Features of the Jackery Explorer 500
It is a portable power station designed to provide reliable power on the go. Here are some of its key features and specifications:
- Battery Capacity: Equipped with a 518Wh (24Ah, 21.6V) lithium-ion battery that can provide power for various devices and appliances.
- Power Output: Has a rated power output of 500 watts with a surge power output of 1000 watts. It offers multiple charging options, including AC outlets, USB-A, USB-C, and DC carport, and an optional solar panel input.
- Recharging Options: It can be recharged using a standard wall outlet, a carport, or the optional solar panel. It takes approximately 7 hours to fully recharge using a standard wall outlet, 14 hours using a carport, and 14-16 hours with the optional solar panel.
- Built-in Features: Comes with an LED flashlight with SOS mode, which can be helpful in emergencies. It also has an LCD that shows the battery level, charging status and output information.
- Unique Features: The unique features that set it apart from other portable power stations on the market. For instance, it has a pure sine wave inverter that delivers clean and stable power, which is ideal for sensitive electronics. It also has an eco mode that saves energy by automatically turning off the AC output when no devices are connected.
Portability and Design
When it comes to portable power stations, design and build quality can play a significant role in the device’s usability and durability. The Jackery Explorer 500 has a sleek and compact design that makes it easy to transport and store. It weighs only 13.32 pounds and measures 11.84 x 7.59 x 9.20 inches, which is small enough to fit in a backpack or car trunk.
The exterior of the device is made of durable plastic, and the handle is reinforced with metal for added sturdiness. The device also features rubberized feet to prevent slipping or scratching on surfaces.
One design element that sets the Jackery Explorer 500 apart from some of its competitors is the LCD, which shows important information such as battery level, input/output power, and estimated remaining time. This makes it easier for users to monitor the device’s performance and plan their energy usage accordingly.
Another design feature that adds to the convenience the built-in LED flashlight. This can come in handy during power outages or when camping at night. Overall, the design and build quality is impressive, and the device is built to last.
Power Output and Battery Capacity Of The Jackery Eplorer 500 Power Station
The Jackery Explorer 500 portable power station boasts an impressive battery capacity of 518Wh, making it a great option for powering multiple devices for extended periods. With this capacity, the Explorer 500 can power a laptop for up to 8 hours, a mini fridge for up to 10 hours, and a CPAP machine for up to 14 hours. It can also charge a smartphone up to 40 times and a tablet up to 24 times.
In terms of power output, the Explorer 500 features a 500W pure sine wave inverter and has a surge capacity of 1000W, meaning it can handle power surges when devices are first plugged in. The device has multiple output options, including AC, DC, and USB ports, allowing it to power a wide range of devices from small electronics to larger appliances. The device also has a pass-through charging function, allowing it to be charged and discharged simultaneously.
It’s important to note that the power output and battery capacity of the Jackery Explorer 500 can vary based on the device being powered and the environmental conditions it is being used in. Nonetheless, the device offers a reliable and powerful source of portable energy for a variety of needs.
The charging time is another important factor to consider when it comes to portable power stations like the Jackery Explorer 500.
It’s important to know how long it will take to fully charge the device before you can use it to power your devices and appliances.
The Jackery Explorer 500 can be charged using three different methods: a wall outlet, a carport, or solar panels. The charging time will vary depending on which method you use.
When using a wall outlet, the Jackery Explorer 500 can be fully charged in about 8 hours. If you’re using a carport, the charging time will take longer, usually around 16 hours.
If you want to use solar panels to charge the Jackery Explorer 500, the charging time will depend on the wattage of the solar panel. With a 100W solar panel, it will take around 9 hours to fully charge the device. If you use two 100W solar panels, the charging time can be reduced to around 5.5 hours.
It’s important to note that the charging time can also be affected by factors such as weather conditions and the angle and placement of the solar panels. Overall, the Jackery Explorer 500 offers multiple charging options and reasonable charging times for a portable solar power station.
The noise level is another important factor to consider, especially for those who plan to use it in quiet environments like campsites or during power outages at night.
The device is designed to operate quietly, with a fan system that runs at low speeds to reduce noise levels. The noise is rated at only 50 decibels, which is comparable to the sound of a quiet conversation or a refrigerator running in the background.
This makes it an excellent choice for those who prioritize a peaceful and quiet environment, whether they’re camping in the great outdoors or just trying to get a good night’s sleep during a power outage.
The low noise level also means that the device won’t be a distraction for others in the same area, allowing you to enjoy your power source without disrupting others.
- Overload protection
- Short circuit protection
- Overcharge protection
- Low battery protection
- Overtemperature protection
- Battery management system (BMS) to prevent overheating and extend battery life
- Pure sine wave inverter to provide clean and stable power to connected devices
- UL and CE certified for safety and quality assurance
- FCC compliant for electromagnetic interference (EMI) reduction
It includes several safety features to ensure that it operates reliably and safely. These features include overcharge protection, short circuit protection, over-temperature protection, and low battery protection.
Overcharge protection prevents the battery from overcharging, which can lead to damage or even explosions. Short circuit protection prevents the device from being damaged if a short circuit occurs while charging. Over-temperature protection ensures that the battery doesn’t overheat during charging, which can cause damage to the device or even start a fire.
Additionally, it has a low battery protection feature that automatically turns off the device when the battery level is low, preventing damage to the battery and extending its lifespan.
Overall, these safety features make the Jackery Explorer 500 a reliable and safe option for powering your devices, whether you’re camping, travelling, or dealing with a power outage.
These safety features help to ensure that the power station operates safely and reliably, protecting the device and any connected devices from damage or harm.
Compatibility with Devices
It is a versatile power station that is compatible with a wide range of devices and appliances, such as.
- Smartphones and tablets
- Laptops and cameras
- Portable fans and mini coolers
- Electric blankets and heating pads
- CPAP machines and medical devices
- LED lights and string lights
- TVs and gaming consoles
- Portable projectors and speakers
Its AC outlet can power devices such as laptops, cameras, and small household appliances by up to 500 watts, while its DC outputs can charge devices such as smartphones, tablets, and drones.
The built-in USB ports provide fast charging for multiple devices simultaneously, and the carport allows for easy charging of the power station while on the go.
Additionally, it’s compatible with solar panels, making it an ideal choice for off-grid adventures or emergency power backups. Its MPPT controller ensures maximum solar charging efficiency, allowing you to charge the power station in just 9 hours of full sun.
- Many customers are impressed by the Jackery Explorer 500’s portability and convenience, making it ideal for camping and other outdoor activities.
- The device’s long battery life and ability to charge multiple devices at the same time are also commonly praised.
- Some customers have reported issues with the device’s reliability and durability over time, particularly in extreme weather conditions.
- Others have noted that the device can struggle to power larger appliances, such as refrigerators or air conditioners.
- However, overall, the majority of customer reviews are positive, with many users recommending the Jackery Explorer 500 as a reliable and versatile portable power station.
Pros and Cons Of The Explorer 500
- The large battery capacity of 518Wh allows for extended use and multiple charges of smaller devices
- Multiple charging options, including solar, AC wall outlet, and car port, make it versatile for different environments and situations
- Built-in LCD screen for easy monitoring of power level and usage
- LED flashlight and SOS mode for emergencies or low-light settings
- Quiet operation compared to traditional gas-powered generators
- Portable and compact design for easy transportation and storage
- Includes multiple ports for charging and powering various devices simultaneously
- Limited power capacity: While the Jackery Explorer 500 is a great option for powering smaller devices and appliances, it may not be sufficient for larger electronics or high-energy equipment.
- Not Lightweight: At 13.32 pounds, the Jackery Explorer 500 is not the lightest portable power station on the market, which may make it less convenient for frequent travel or backpacking trips.
- Limited warranty: The Jackery Explorer 500 only comes with a 2-year warranty, which may not provide enough peace of mind for some consumers.
- Expensive: Compared to other portable power stations with similar features and capacity, the Jackery Explorer 500 is on the higher end of the price spectrum, which may make it less accessible for budget-conscious consumers.
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Jackery Explorer 500, there are a few options to consider:
- Goal Zero Yeti 500X: The Yeti 500X is another high-capacity portable power station that is similar to the Jackery Explorer 500. It has a slightly larger battery capacity, at 505Wh, but it is also heavier and more expensive.
- Anker Powerhouse 200: The Anker Powerhouse 200 is a more affordable alternative to the Jackery Explorer 500. It has a smaller battery capacity, at 200Wh, but it is also lighter and more compact.
- EcoFlow River 370: The EcoFlow River 370 is another high-capacity portable power station that is comparable to the Jackery Explorer 500. It has a slightly smaller battery capacity, at 370Wh, but it is also more affordable.
Cheaper Alternatives (at the time of writing)
- Rockpals 500W Portable Power Station: This is a more affordable alternative that offers 520Wh of power capacity and a range of output ports, including AC, DC, USB, and Type-C. It also has built-in safety features and an LCD for easy monitoring.
- Goal Zero Yeti 400: This portable power station offers a 400Wh capacity and a variety of output ports, including AC, DC, USB, and 12V. It also features a built-in handle for easy portability and a durable design.
- Anker Powerhouse 400: Another cost-effective option, this portable power station has a 388Wh capacity and a range of output ports, including AC, DC, and USB. It also features a compact and lightweight design for easy transport.
While these options may not have the same features and specifications as the Jackery Explorer 500, they can still be a good alternative for those looking to save money without compromising too much on performance and reliability.
The Explorer 500 is an excellent portable power station for anyone who loves to explore the outdoors. It has a high-capacity battery, a lightweight and portable design, and multiple safety features to protect you and your devices. While it may be more expensive than some alternatives, its performance and durability make it a worthwhile investment.
- How long will the Jackery Explorer 500 battery last?
- The battery life will depend on how many devices you are powering and how much power they require. On average, the battery can last up to 14 hours when powering a laptop or up to 60 hours when powering a smartphone.
- Can I charge the Jackery Explorer 500 using a car battery?
- Yes, it can be charged using a car battery. However, you will need to purchase a separate car charger to do so.
- How long does it take to charge the Jackery Explorer 500 using a solar panel?
- If you use a 100W solar panel, it will take about 9-10 hours to fully charge the battery.
- Can I use the Jackery Explorer 500 to power a mini-fridge?
- Yes, it can power a mini-fridge, as long as it does not exceed 500W of continuous power or 1000W surge power.
- Does the Jackery Explorer 500 come with a warranty?
- Yes, it comes with a 2-year warranty, as well as lifetime customer support.